Skip to Main Content


More Hours


Looking for sheet music to perform? Recordings to listen to? Books and articles about music or a related topic? This libguide will help!

I want to find music to play solo or with a chamber ensemble.

The printed music in the CSU East Bay Library collection uses the Library of Congress call number system all beginning with the letter M. The printed music is generally arranged by the performance ensemble. That means that you can browse for all of the Brass Trios by looking at the music with call numbers beginning M 357. Of course M 357 is the call number for ALL instrumental trios, but still, it's a way to start looking for what you want.

Here's a general guide to instrumental ensemble music call numbers:

  • M6-M175.5 music for one solo instrument (You'll find many piano sonatas in the M 20-25 section)
  • M177-M990 music for two or more solo instruments (e.g., trios in M 357)
  • M1000-M1075 music for orchestra
  • M1100-M1160 music for string orchestra
  • M1200-M1270 music for band
  • M1350-M1366 music for "other" ensembles (e.g., chamber orchestra, and also jazz ensembles) 
  • M1375-M1420 instrumental music for children (see M1380 for piano music composed for children to play)
  • M1470-1480 Aleatory music, electronic music, mixed media (this category includes renaissance dance music as well as pieces by John Cage)

 There are other ways to locate specific ensemble and solo music and I hope you'll consult with me anytime you have a question about that. My contact information is in the box at the right of this page. I look forward to your questions! -Tom