Information for Researchers/Collection Use Policies
The University Archives is available by appointment. Reading room hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00am to 5:00pm. Closed Saturday and Sunday. Please be advised that the last pull of material is one hour prior to closing of the reading room and on Fridays researchers will need to complete their research by 4:50pm as the entire library closes at 5:00pm.
To schedule an appointment, please contact the archives staff at email@example.com. You may also call the Library Administration Office at 510-885-3664. The archives staff appreciates at least 1 day advance notice of your planned visit so that the materials can be pulled before you arrive.
The archives staff will work with you to determine which collections would be most likely to contain materials of interest for your research.
Reading Room Rules
- No food, drink, backpacks, purses, or laptop bags are allowed in the Reading Room. The staff in the Library Administration Office will provide a secure storage space for your items while you use the archival materials. This is to ensure the safety of the materials.
- Please wash your hands before using the materials. This helps preserve the materials.
- You will be asked to sign in. This allows us to document use of the collections.
- You may use a laptop or pencil and paper to take notes. No pens are allowed in the reading room. Again, this is for the safety of the materials.
- You may use a camera without flash to take photographs of the materials. These photographs are for your research use and allowing you to take photographs does not constitute permission to publish the photographs.
- When handling the materials, remove only one folder from the box at a time. This allows us to keep the collections organized for everyone’s use.
- Do keep the materials in the folder in order.
- Do not lean on the materials or force any book to lay flat. You will receive book supports and weighted snakes if necessary and the archives staff will demonstrate how to use them properly. This ensures the preservation of the materials
- If you are using photographic materials, the archives staff will provide you with white gloves for handling the materials. This ensures that the oils on your hands do not harm the photographic materials