The SCAA’s policies are in place to ensure that we serve our community efficiently, effectively, and in a manner that abides by CSUEB’s Academic Dishonesty Policy. Our policies include, but are not limited to:
- Homework and Final Exam Policies: To abide by CSUEB’s Academic Dishonesty Policies, SCAA tutors cannot directly work on student homework or “[prepare] a written answer to an exam question outside of class” (1.1.5).
- Non-Coursework Material: SCAA Tutors, Graduate Writing Associates (GWAs) and Supplemental Instruction (SI) Leaders can only work with students on writing assignments and problems associated with a specific course. To participate in sessions associated with course embedded programs, such as the GWA Program or the SI Program, you must be a part of a course with a GWA or an SI Leader. The SCAA does not provide assistance for external exams (GMAT, LSAT, etc.) or non-coursework writing such as resumes, scholarship applications, etc.
- Assistance with the Writing Skills Test (WST): SCAA Tutors, Graduate Writing Associates (GWAs) and Supplemental Instruction (SI Leaders) cannot provide tutoring or SI sessions on the Writing Skills Test (WST). The SCAA provides WST assistance through in-person workshops, the online WST workshop and our WST Boot Camp.
- Student Loss of SCAA Usage: The SCAA reserves the right to reschedule appointments. Students may be denied use of SCAA’s programming if the student acts in an inappropriate fashion that makes SCAA employees feel uncomfortable.
- Cancellation of an Appointment Session: If you need to cancel an appointment (standing or one-time), you will need to contact the SCAA no later than 9 AM on the day of your appointment. You are permitted only one cancellation during the quarter. If you cancel twice, you will be dropped from your appointment for the quarter.
- No Shows for Appointments: If you fail to show up for an appointment (standing or one-time) without notifying the SCAA, you will be dropped from your appointment for the quarter.
- Dropped Appointments: If you are dropped from your appointment (standing or one-time), you may still use our drop-in tutoring system. Additionally, you can request that the SCAA Director review your dropped appointment. No case will be reviewed without proper documentation.
- Late Arrivals: Tutors will wait for you up to 15 minutes, after which they may take another student. You will be marked as a no-show.
- Number of Appointments: You may receive one hour of writing appointment time and one hour of math tutoring time per week.
Writing Skills Test (WST) Boot Camp:
- Qualifications: The WST Boot Camp is a targeted program for undergraduate seniors at CSUEB who have not completed the University Writing Skills Requirement (UWSR). Graduate students may not participate.