Standards of Behavior Policy
It is the policy of the California State University, East Bay Library to provide an environment supportive of the needs of library patrons. Library patrons are expected to conduct themselves in a manner that enables patrons and library personnel to accomplish their intended library tasks in a safe, pleasant, and orderly atmosphere. Staff will take appropriate action when patron behavior causes disruption in the delivery of services.
Library patrons shall not:
- Destroy, deface, or illegally remove library materials or property.
- Disturb or harass other patrons or staff by (including, but not limited to):
- Engaging patrons or staff in conversation which makes them uncomfortable, after they have been advised of this fact;
- Engaging in sexually harassing behavior;
- Following patrons or staff throughout the library, on the grounds or in the parking lot;
- Annoying patrons by talking to them while they are trying to read, study or contemplate;
- Abusing, verbally harassing or intimidating patrons or staff.
- Leave children unattended in any area of the library.
- Children must be supervised by a caregiver, able to attend to the child’s safety and ensure appropriate behavior.
- Library staff does not have custodial responsibility and cannot assume liability for unattended children.
- If a child is found unattended in the library, staff will attempt to locate the child’s parent/guardian. If staff cannot locate a parent/guardian, law enforcement officials may be notified.
- Create a disturbance by yelling, running, throwing objects, misusing the library facilities, etc.
- Sell or solicit in the library building without the permission of the Dean, University Libraries. Examples of soliciting include but are not limited to leaving ads or flyers on tables or personally handing outsuch materials to patrons, request patron participation in questionnaires or surveys, etc.
- Post signs in the library. For appropriate places on campus to post signs, see the CSUEB Posting Policy.
- Enter areas marked “staff only” unless accompanied by a library employee.
- Bring pets (except service animals) into the building.
- Come into the library without being fully clothed, including shirt and footwear, at all times.
- Monopolize computer equipment, study rooms, staff support or other library resources. Patrons should follow the rules regarding the use of library resources and the instructions of library personnel.
- Use library phones or personal phones in an inappropriate or disruptive manner.
- Use bicycles, scooters, skateboards, Segways, Phunkeeducks, or other Segway-type vehicles inside the library. Bicycles must be parked outside of the building.
- Failure to comply may result in the patron’s library privileges being limited or revoked or removal of the patron from the building.
- The Dean of the Libraries or authorized designee, upon staff recommendation, may revoke library privileges for a specified period of time.
- A library patron whose library privileges have been revoked may appeal the decision by submitting their appeal in writing to the Dean of the Libraries or designee.
Reporting disruptive behavior
If you are being disturbed by the disruptive behavior of another library patron, please report the issue to the nearest library service desk.
If a patron is exhibiting unlawful behavior or posing a threat of violence to him/herself or others by being verbally or physically abusive, you should call University Police. Any threat of violence should be taken seriously. Err on the side of caution. Dial 911 from any campus telephone or any other phone. Police are available 24 hours a day.
- University Police
For Business: (510) 885-3791
- Student Judicial Affairs
Student Services Building 3421